Saturday, September 17, 2011

Saturday in New England

Waking up in Portland, ME we headed to Cape Elisabeth and visited the lighthouses.   What a unexpected surprises, this weekend the lighthouses of Maine were all open and free!!  We started at "Portland Head Lighthouse" then "Bug Light" and then "Spring Point".   On our ferry ride to Vinalhaven, ME we passed another lighthouse along with some lobster boats.   While we waited for the ferry we had  a delicious lobster sandwich at the Brass Compass Cafe (know for winning the Bobby Flay throwdown)  OH YEAH !  You can see we really enjoyed it.  Vinalhaven was a special stop for the Dyer's since Rick's family history has its roots here and today happens to be his dad's B-day.   It's amazing how we are drawn to our roots to feel a bond with our ancestors.                    We are really having a beautiful start to our trip.  While in Freeport,ME we indulged our taste buds on some yummy crepes. (rick and laurie had a European moment)  What is a trip to New England without visiting "L. L. Bean" and a picture by the original boot?     Maine and especially, Vinalhaven, is know for the granite.   Everything is made from granite instead of cement.   Even the picnic tables are granite. (no  one will take that out of your yard!)             We are looking forward to a long drive tomarrow through New Hampshire and Vermont.                 

























4 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow I would love to go see those lighthouses beautiful! I always wondered why my friend from Maine loved LL Bean now I know. It looks so pretty there I might have to take a trip there some day I guess.

Hill Family said...

Heidi beat me!!!! Love the light house so beautiful and the weather looks great, blue skys. Porter noticed the modle T in the picturre and loves it!!! Every time I see your blog it makes me hungrey for food I cant make here on my own!!!!! Cant wait to see tomorrow........

Rebecca said...

I don't think I could eat lobster for every meal. But it does look delicious. My parents need a blog.

Ashley May said...

Oh my goodness this looks so gorgeous!! Looks like the perfect time of year. You are making me want to go on this trip! I love getting crepes on vacation... for some reason they always have them in other places but not where we live. It's more fun on a trip anyways though!